Saturday, December 12, 2009

Congrats to the Altavista High School Colonels!


The Altavista Colonels won the Virginia State Group 1, Single A Football Championship today by defeating J.I. Burton High 27-7 in Salem, VA.

As a proud graduate from the Class of 1979, it's hard to believe the words "football" and "championship" apply to the Colonels. I played on the 1976, 1977, and 1978 football teams. We were awful. I think we won a total of 6 games during my three years.

I remember in 1976 we were about to play Brookville High School. We were the underdogs and "Rocky" was playing at the Vista Theater. On the Thursday night before the game, most of the team went to see the movie together. We came out of the theater determined to give the Brookville Bees a game. The next night Brookville crushed us 40-0 if memory serves.

How times have changed. Congratulations, Colonels!

No comments:

Post a Comment